Before you begin: Materials & Equipment
__ Compaction equipment: to compress TRUEGRID ROOT™ into existing grass.
__ Example: Heavy roller, plate compactor, and hand tamper* for smaller areas . Heavy roller is quickest for large areas.
__ Circular saw or reciprocating saw (if needed for trimming edges or around existing objects/trees on lot)
__ Sod staples/U-Pins and a hammer (for reuse of trimmed ROOT pieces and some edges or transition areas)
Before you begin: Site Prep
- Level out any deep potholes or ruts, if needed. TRUEGRID ROOT™ will flex to conform to most surface unevenness that exist.
• Fill in and compact infill for any existing ruts or pot holes in the lot.
• Ground is best to be damp for a softer grass surface before compressing TRUEGRID ROOT™ into place.
- Outside temperature and ground temperature (1-inch / 25mm depth) should be above 55° F (13° C).
- Install TRUEGRID ROOT™
• Start in corner of site with female tabs on grid facing out. Line up grid and connect next grid section with empty cells facing down. TRUEGRID ROOT™ w/the most surface area should be facing up. TRUEGRID will typically go down at around 1000 SF per man/hr.
2. Compress TRUEGRID ROOT™ into sufficiently watered grass with heavy roller or other equipment* to allow ROOT to cut into the top soil/grass.
3.TRUEGRID ROOT™ can be trimmed to fit around trees or any other existing objects that need to remain on grass lot TRUEGRID ROOT™ can be trimmed to fit along parking lot edges, if needed.
• Hammer sod staples/u-pins to secure trimmed pieces to adjacent pieces when built-in connectors cannot be secured or when edges do not rest flat to the grade/grass surface.
*Different soil compositions and grass species may require different compaction equipment or a combination of equipment: Rollers, plate compactors, or hand tampers.
**This installation guide and installation is not recommended for ROOT on St. Augustine grass and other horizontal rhizome (crawling) type grasses.
Looking for product specs, cut sheets and CSI documents? Visit our Technical Info page to download PDFs, BIM objects and CAD files for all of our products.
Need help with your project?
Work with our knowledgeable and experienced team. We're here to help you specify the right TRUEGRID product for your project and assist with your site specific design ...from surface to subgrade.